Pie is a must for us at Thanksgiving. I discovered the best pie crust recipe and it has never disappointed. It is based on America's Test Kitchen's recipe, we simply use Vegan butter instead of regular butter. It is not "healthy" since Vegan butter is oil but we only indulge a couple times a year so allow this treat.
I've tried several different versions of the Pumpkin filling and this version has been a favorite. It is based on Chloe Coscarelli's recipe although I did adjust some spices. The Coconut milk is the key, adding richness and structure. You can used canned Pumpkin Puree or make your own. If you're making your own, I would use Sugar Pumpkin or Red Kabocha Squash. Oven roast until soft, remove from rind and puree in a high speed blender or food processor. You may need to add a little water to achieve a smooth consistency.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoons Sugar
- 6 tablespoons Vegan Butter, cold unsalted, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 Cup chilled solid Vegetable Shortening, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/8 Cup Vodka, cold
- 1/8 Cup Water, cold
- 1 Can Pumpkin Puree- 16 oz
- 1 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves, ground
- Process 3/4 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage-cheese curds, and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into a bowl.
- Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Mold into a ball and flatten into adisk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
Roll out dough into a pie plate and Crimp edges.
Pour Pumpkin Pie Mixture into the shell and cook for 60 minutes. Keep an eye on the crust edges, if they become too brown, cover with foil.
Allow to cool before serving.