Sometimes you just want a burger. This recipe is simple and delicious. We use a similar process as with the garbanzo bean balls but with the added BBQ sauce and Caramelized Onions- it really satisfies. If you are using Garbanzo beans with Salt added- you should omit the added salt.
Caramelizing the onion is a lot easier than it sounds. You just need to keep an eye on them, let the onion take the time to release it's natural sugars and you're good to go. If you want to cook without Salt, it will just take longer for the onions to caramelize.
We used our cashew cream as "mayo" but you can add whatever favorite condiment you like.
BBQ Veggie Burger with Caramelized Onions
Makes 3 full size patties
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans- No Sodium
- 3/4 Cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Light Yellow Miso
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 5 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 1 - 3 drops of Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Flax Meal
- 1- 2 teaspoon Salt (optional) to taste
- 1 Medium Onion- sliced thin
- 3 Hamburger Buns
- Lettuce, Tomato, Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Drain & rinse Garbanzo Beans, set aside.
- In a food processor, add Oats & Walnuts, blend until smooth. Remove to large bowl. Add Paprika, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Flax & 1 teaspoon Salt (optional).
- In a food processor, combine the Garbanzo Beans, Miso, Tomato Paste, Ketchup, Vegan Worcestershire sauce, 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce and Liquid Smoke. Blend until smooth.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together by hand.
- Let set for a minimum of 15 minutes. This will allow the Oatmeal & Flax to hydrate. (The longer it sets, the easier it is to form patties.)
- Caramelize the onion: Place onions into a saute pan and season with salt. Use approximately 1 teaspoon per large onion.
- Cook on medium-high heat to draw the majority of the water out of the onions. This will take approximately 15 minutes depending on the amount of onions added and their water content. Stir to prevent the onions from sticking. Onions will begin to turn from a translucent white color to a golden color and will continue to darken as you cook them.
- Deglaze the pan with 1-2 tablespoons ofWater when the onions begin to stick to the bottom of the pan, but before they begin to burn. Scrape the bottom of the pan thoroughly. Repeat until the onions reach your desired level of caramelization.
- Form Garbanzo Bean mixture into patties, pour about 1 Tablespoon of BBQ sauce onto each patty and spread evenly onto patties. Place on a lined baking sheet. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Build burgers topped with caramelized onion and desired condiments.