This Enchilada recipe is really easy and the combination of refried beans and whole black beans give the dish great texture.
Like many families, we battle with like and dislikes and this recipe reflects our concession to a dislike of traditional enchilada sauce. If you love enchilada sauce, go ahead and use it- most are vegan by design but not necessarily oil free. We use Salsa instead which give the dish a lighter feel.
When making the tofu, I recommend pressing as much water out as you can. I use a potato masher to crumble up the tofu, it makes a quick job of it.
Vegan Nacho Cheese sauce is available at some larger retailers, online or you can make your own if you feel so inclined. We haven’t posted a recipe for Vegan Cheese Sauce as of yet but there are many recipes online.
The Chili Lime Seasoning Blend we use is from Trader Joes- it does have salt in it so use accordingly. If you are avoiding salt, you can use 1/2 teaspoon chili powder instead.
Makes about 20 enchiladas
- 20, 1 ounce Corn Tortillas
- 1 Pack Firm Tofu
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Can Refried Beans
- 1 bag Frozen Corn (8 ounces)
- 1 can Slice Black Olives (3.8 ounce)
- 2 Jars of Salsa (12 ounce each)
- 2 teaspoons Chili Lime Seasoning
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Guacamole or Avocado Slices
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mash Tofu in a medium sized Pot. Season with 1 teaspoon Chili Lime Seasoning and salt to taste.
- Once warm and most liquid cooked away, transfer into a large bowl.
- In a large Saute Pan, add corn and season with 1 teaspoon Chili Lime Seasoning.
- Add Black Beans, Olives & Corn to Tofu.
- Using 2, 12x8 Pyrex pans, pour a 1/2 inch layer of Salsa into each.
- Warm saute pan to medium heat, add a small amount of oil and warm tortilla on both sides. (The oil helps the tortilla not crack when rolling)
- Once warm, remove from Pan and add a layer of refried beans to a quarter of the tortilla, then press the Tofu mixture into the refried beans and roll. Place in pan with the seam side down.
- After all the tortillas are rolled, spoon more Salsa & Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce over the top of the Enchiladas.
- Cover pans with foil. Cook for about 25 minute, until hot.
- To serve, add more Salsa, Nacho Sauce and Guacamole/Avocado to taste.