We love TACOS! We eat tacos weekly, sometimes more. They're great for everyone, whether you like corn or flour tortilla’s, spicy or mild salsa, no tomatoes or add avocado - you can customize tacos to your own perfection! Do you love onions- great just sauté some up and add them. Hate onions- no problem just leave them off. This plant based recipe can be made as a whole or split up to fit your needs.
The Chili-Lime Cream Sauce is the shining star. It adds the piazza needed to make an ordinary taco extraordinary.
Sweet Potato & Tofu Taco Recipe
Lime Chili Cream Sauce
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1 small Yellow Potato, peeled and diced
- 1 Lime, zested
- 1/2 of a Lime, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1 Tablespoon pickled Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Miso
- 1/4 cup Plant Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, peeled & cut into strips
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
Mexican Spiced Tofu
- 2 Tablespoons Smoke Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Oregano
- 1 pack Firm Tofu (approx. 16 oz.)
- 2 Tablespoons Grape seed Oil
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt (to taste)
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Can refried beans
- Shredded Lettuce
- 1 Tomato, Diced
- For the Cream Sauce: add Cashews and the Potato to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a low boil until the Potatoes are soft but not overcooked.
- Drain and place in High Speed blender for best results. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. Sauce is good for about 1 week in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sweet Potato Filling: Peel and cut Sweet Potatoes into strips. In a large bowl, toss Oregano & Garlic then place on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet and roast until tender- about 20- 25 minutes. You should check them after 15 minutes to turn over.
- Tofu Filling: In a saute pan add Oil, Paprika, Garlic & Oregano. Allow the spices to roast until you can smell their aroma. Add the Tofu. Use a potato masher to break the tofu into a crumble. Add Maple Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar and salt to taste. Allow to cook until warmed thoroughly.
- Heat up the beans and warm the tortilla's. Assemble tacos with your favorite toppings.
Alternative vegetable options if you want to sub out the sweet potatoes: Roasted Squash, Eggplant or Mushrooms