Today we continue the evolution of meatloaf (without the meat) into this Vegan, oil free version. It’s packed with healthy Chickpeas which is a whopping 39 grams of protein per cup.
We weren’t always vegans, as some of you know- this is a fairly recent change in our lives. So we bring all of our experience, tastes, like and dislikes to our food choices.
Which brings us to the Chickpea Loaf. It is inspired by the American Classic - Meatloaf.
The recorded history of minced meats goes back to the 5th century. During the The Great Depression, folks started adding oats or breadcrumbs to stretch their already tight budgets. We're excited to bring back this family favorite in a new healthy and delicious adaptation.
Give this tasty recipe a try.
1 Can Garbanzo Beans- No Sodium
1 Cup Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Walnuts
1 Carrot, diced
1 Cup Sun Dried Tomatoes, soaked
1 Tablespoons Light Yellow Miso
1/4 Cup Ketchup + more for top
1 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon Tamari Sauce
1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1/4 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Jalapeno Juice (see note)
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, Chopped
2 Tablespoons Flax Meal
1 teaspoon Salt (optional) to taste
- Preheat over to 350.
- Drain Garbanzo beans- Keep liquid
- In a food processor, add oats & walnuts. Blend until smooth. Remove to large bowl. In a food processor, combined 1/2 garbanzo beans & sun dried tomatoes. Pulse to combine. Do not over blend. Remove from processor into the large bowl.
- In a food processor, combine the other 1/2 of the garbanzo beans & 1/4 cup bean liquid. Blend until smooth. Add to the bowl, then add the carrot, miso, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, tamari, paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder, parsley, jalapeno juice & flax.
- Mix by hand to combine. Let set for 5-10 minutes. (This will allow the Oatmeal & Flax to hydrate. If it looks dry after the allotted time, add a bit of water.)
- Add a teaspoon of oil to an oven safe casserole pan to prevent sticking. Form mixture into a loaf shape depending on the size of your pan. Top with ketchup.
- Add a 1/2 inch of water to the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minute before serving.
- Slice and serve with Mashed Potatoes & Steamed Green Beans or your favorite sides.
- Note: Jalapeno juice is the liquid from jarred jalapenos.