We're sad to see summer end so we are finishing off the summer by sharing this Watermelon Poke recipe. This is perfect for the Labor Day pot luck dish or a great stater for a nice meal.
Although we use the term Poke loosely(normally known as a raw fish salad). The chunks of bright red watermelon resemble the traditional tuna.
Watermelon is an unsung hero for good health. Although watermelon is approximately 90% water, it is packed with vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of lycopene, antioxidants, potassium and amino acids. These amino acids promote blood flow, leading to cardiovascular health and improved circulation.
This recipe is Vegan, Oil Free and Gluten Free.
Watermelon Poke Recipe
- 1 Small seedless Watermelon, Large Dice
- 1 Pack Soba Buckwheat Noodles
- 1 Avocado, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Scallions
- 1 Tablespoon Black Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Rough Chopped Macadamia Nuts
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Organic Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Bunch Radish (cleaned and sliced Thinly)
Ginger Tamarind Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Tamarind Paste
- 1/4 Cup Tamari Sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Lime (zest and juice)
- Hot Sauce to taste
- For the pickled radish: Mix the rice wine vinegar with the sugar and kosher salt. Add the sliced radishes to the pickling liquid. Let stand for 30 minutes but not longer than an hour.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the soba noodles, cooking per the direction on the package. Once cooked, drain and rinse the noodles under cold water.
- For the dressing: Combine the grated ginger, tamarind paste, tamari sauce and rice wine vinegar, lime juice and zest and hot sauce to your taste. Mix well.
- Combine half of the dressing with noodles.
- Peel and dice the watermelon into a large dice. Toss the watermelon with the remaining dressing.
- Place a nice mound of noodles into a bowl, top with the diced watermelon. Sprinkle the rough chopped macadam nuts on top and around the watermelon. Then add the diced avocado and the pickled radish around the watermelon. Finish the dish with sprinkling the black sesame seeds and he sliced scallions.