- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Can Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Pinto Beans
- 2 Cans Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Small Can Diced Green Chilies
- (you pick the heat)
- 1 Cup Diced Yellow Onion
- 1 Cup Frozen Yellow Corn
- 2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Granulated Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Instant Coffee
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Jalapeno Liquid
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2-3 Dashes of Liquid Smoke
- Drain and rinse all of the beans.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add the onion -cooking and stirring. Its better to reduce the heat as we are not adding oil, you are looking for the onion to just start releasing liquid.
- Add the spices, maple syrup, Jalapeno Liquid, Worcestershire sauce and the coffee to the onions.
- Add the beans, diced chilies and crushed tomatoes. Stir the beans and allow to cook at a low simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the corn to the chili
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of water, add the mixture to the chili & cook until it starts to thicken. About 5 - 10 minutes
- Finish the chili with the 2-3 dashes of liquid smoke
Notes: Always try to use beans with no salt. If you like it spicy, you can add cayenne pepper, a Jalapeno or other spicy pepper.
Cornbread (Gluten Free)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Flax seed Meal
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Teaspoon Caper Liquid
- 1 Teaspoon Miso Paste
- 1/2 Cup Plant Milk
- 2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Cane Sugar (sub other sugars with varied results)
- 1/3 Tablespoon Unsweetened Applesauce
- Pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cupFine Ground Cornmeal
- 1/2 cupGluten Free Flour Mix (you can use regular flour if you aren't gluten free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 8x8 baking pan
- Place the flax seed in a bowl with the water and mix well. Allow the mixture to rest until it becomes thick- about 5 minutes
- Mix plant milk with caper liquid, miso paste and apple sauce.
- Mix the Flax seed mixture with the milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine and mix all of the dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix gently.
- Pour into baking pan
- Bake for 20 minutes
Notes: Miso paste is located in the refrigerated section some grocery stores often near the tofu. We generally buy the Cold Mountain yellow or white miso.