I've made my fair share of Apple Pie and this is the definitive favorite at our house. We had this at Thanksgiving to rave reviews and our son prefers my Apple Pie on his birthday in place of cake. So I think we have a winner!
I've tried different combinations of apples, cooked vs. uncooked apple filling and of course the crust can be very intimidating. This recipe's crust is based on America's Test Kitchen's recipe using Vegan butter. I use Earth Balance buttery sticks- Not the spread! The spread has more water to make it spreadable. I really recommend giving this crust a try.
The Apple's I find to work best are Granny Smith. They hold up to the cooking quite well. I used a mandolin slicer to slice the apples after I've peeled and cored them. I recommend slicing them on the thicker side- about 1/4 inch.
As always, please comment below with any questions or share your pictures!
Vegan Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 12 tablespoons Vegan Butter, cold unsalted, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 Cup chilled solid Vegetable Shortening, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 Cup Vodka, cold
- 1/4 Cup Water, cold
- Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage-cheese curds, and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into a bowl.
- Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two balls and flatten into a disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
- 2 1/2 lbs. Apples, Granny Smith, Peeled, Cored, cut into thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon All Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Heat a large saute pan to medium high heat and add Apples. Stirring occasionally.
- Combine the spices, salt and sugar and add to the apples. Lower heat and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes. Apples should begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the Flour and Cornstarch over the Apples and stir to combine completely. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Apples should be soft.
- Remove from heat and transfer into a bowl or spread on sheet pan to cool completely.
- Roll out dough into a pie plate, leaving a 1/2 inch of dough around the edge. Allow dough to rest in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
- Once filling is cool and dough has rested, fill the crust with apple filling.
- Roll out top crust and cover pie. Crimp edges and cut vents in top with a sharp knife.
- Place pie in oven on a baking sheet for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 and continue to cook for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.