With the holiday’s right around the corner, we want to give you some useful recipes to serve to your friends and family whether they’re plant based eaters or otherwise. Marinated Artichoke Hearts give the cake structure while bringing a brininess to it.
This recipe makes about 10 small appetizer sized cakes or you could make 4 large cakes for an entree sized dish. Cooking times will vary depending on the size you make.
Artichoke Cake with Roasted Tomatoes, Candied Garbanzo Beans & Saffron Cashew Cream
Yields 10 small cakes
- 2 Cups Marinated Artichoke Hearts, chopped
- 1 Cup Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1/4 Cup Dill Pickle Relish
- 1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Dill, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons Grape Seed Oil
- 2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Roasted Red Pepper, strips
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Red wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 15.5 can Garbanzo Beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Micro greens to Garnish
- 1 Cup Cashew Cream (see Recipe under ìPantryî)
- 1 pack of Saffron Treads
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl combine the Artichokes, Garbanzo Bean Flour, Relish, Old Bay Seasoning, Dill, Parsley, Hot Sauce & Cornstarch. Start to mix the ingredients together. If the mixture seems a little dry and 1-2 tablespoon of the artichoke marinade liquid. You want the mixture to be moist but not so wet that you can't form a cake. Once mixed, allow to sit for 30 minutes until set and firm.
- Form into patties. Roll in the Panko to cover. Heat the oil in a saute pan. Cook the cakes until crisp and hot.
- Heat a large cast iron pan (or saute pan) over high heat. Add the cherry tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to char on all sides. It's important to keep the heat high, so that the skin chars with out the tomatoes bursting. Once chard add to a bowl with the Roasted Red Peppers, minced Garlic and sliced Red Onion.
- Season with the Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In another bowl combine Garbanzo Beans, Brown Sugar, Smoked Paprika, stir to evenly combine all ingredients onto the Garbanzo Beans. Place on a baking sheet. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the are a little crispy.
- Heat the 2 Tablespoons of water, pour into a bowl with the saffron, allow to steep. Once cool, fold in the Cashew Cream and the saffron together. Season with a dash of salt to taste and the vinegar.
- Place the tomatoes and peppers in middle of the plate. Spread the saffron sauce around the edge of the plate with the back of a spoon. Place the cake on top of the peppers. Spread the micro greens around the edge of the tomatoes and peppers.